Nail ConditionsNail conditions can be chronic and disabling and may be limited to the nail or linked to underlying diseases. Dana Stern, M.D., and Yoon-Soo Cindy Bae, M.D., are leading dermatologists who specialize in the diagnosis and reatment of nail disorders of the fingers and toes.
Nails are made up of layers of a hardened protein called keratin, which is also present in hair and skin. The appearance of your nails can often reflect your overall health, with healthy nails being smooth and consistent in color. Nail growth is affected by disease, nutrition, medications, trauma, and aging. Moreover, changes in the nail, such as thickening, altered shape, or discoloration, can signal underlying health problems including immune system disorders, organ failure, or metabolic syndromes.
- Nail infections
- Inflammatory diseases of the nail
- Malignancies of the nail unit
- Brittle Nails
- Rigid nails
- Lifting of the nails
- Salon caused nail issues
- Nail lichen planus
- Eczema of the nail
- Injuries of the nail
- Cancers of the nail unit
- Warts of the nail unit
- Nail injections
- Behavioral-induced nail change
- Excisions of tumors of the nail bed
- Cosmetic problems with nails
- Surgical nail procedures including biopsies and excisions of the nail unit
- Laser therapy for nail disorders, such as:
- Brittle/dystrophic nails
- Fungal Infections of the nail
- Psoriasis of the nail
In The News
Dr. Adigun Featured in Real Simple Magazine
Click Image to View Article
For more articles regarding nail conditions and treatment click below:
- A Day in the Life of a Nail Expert: Aging Nails by Dana Stern, M.D. - Nails Magazine (2016)
- Healthy Living: Allergies - Dana Stern, M.D., and Chris Adigun, M.D. - Nails Magazine (2015)
- You'll Never Pick or Snip Your Cuticles Again After You Know This: Dr. Dana Stern - InStyle (2015)
- Why You Should Take A Break From Gel Manicures - Dr. Dana Stern - Refinery29
- Dr. Dana Stern discusses What You Need To Know Before Getting a Manicure - SELF Magazine (2015)
- Nine Nail Problems You Shouldn’t Ignore with Dr. Stern - Men's Health (2015)
- A Day in the Life of a Nail Expert:: Dr. Dana Stern - Nails Magazine (2015)
- Dr. Dana Stern discusses dangers of gel manicures - Allure Magazine (2014)
- Nail Salons' Drying Lamps Carry Small Cancer Risk, Dr. Adigun explains why UV protection is a must.- Everydayhealth (2014)
- Dr. Adigun discusses the risks of UV lights from Gel Manicures - NPR (2014
- Dr. Adigun discusses the Truth About Sharing Nail Polish - Refinery 29 (2014)
- Dr. Adigun discussing the importance of seeing a dermatologist for nail disorders - Nails Magazine (2014)
- NAILS' 10 Most-Viewed Questions Answered - Nails Magazine (2013)
NYU UPN Dermatologists
- Roy G. Geronemus, M.D.
- Robert T. Anolik, M.D.
- Yoon-Soo Cindy Bae, M.D.
- Bradley S. Bloom, M.D.
- Daniel A. Belkin, M.D.
- Roy Seidenberg, M.D.
- Leonard J. Bernstein, M.D.
- Paul M. Friedman, M.D.
- Michelle F. Henry, M.D.
- Jessica J. Krant, M.D.
- Ronald Shelton, M.D.
- Dana Stern, M.D.
- Elliot T. Weiss, M.D.