Our DermatologistsNYU UPN Dermatologists
- Roy G. Geronemus, M.D.
- Robert T. Anolik, M.D.
- Yoon-Soo Cindy Bae, M.D.
- Jeremy A. Brauer, M.D.
- Roy Seidenberg, M.D.
- Leonard J. Bernstein, M.D.
- Wilfred Brown, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Ronald Shelton, M.D.
- Jessica J. Krant, M.D.
- Paul M. Friedman, M.D.
- Dana Stern, M.D.
- Elliot T. Weiss, M.D.
- Michelle F. Henry, M.D.
Finding yourself wearing extra layers of clothing to hide the sweat marks? Or undergoing multiple wardrobe changes a day? Excessive underarm sweating affects millions of Americans - but it doesn’t have to! Known as axillary hyperhidrosis, this condition can be successfully treated in a single, one-hour session with the new miraDry protocol. Originally designed as a two or three treatment course, updates now allow for significant reduction in sweat after one relatively painless procedure. After the area is numbed, the microwave energy device is applied to cover the length of the under arm. Recovery is usually a matter of days in most cases, and many patients can return to work the next day. In addition, thanks to cutting edge research conducted at the Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York, significant reduction in underarm hair of any color can also be achieved – something never previously possible with laser hair removal.
miraDry® is a new solution for frustrating and embarrassing underarm sweating. At the Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York®, we remain at the forefront of technology and became one of the first centers in the world to offer miraDry® as a long-term solution for unwanted underarm sweating. We have also conducted clinical trials using the system.
Not only can underarm sweat be uncomfortable, it can be unsightly when it seeps into your clothing's fabric and also be accompanied by an unpleasant odor. Few options had been available in the past. Frequent use of clinical strength anti-perspirant/deodorant, injected toxins, and surgery had been the only recourse.
The miraDry® procedure is an FDA approved non-invasive treatment performed in the office. Energy is delivered to the skin surface to eliminate underarm sweat glands. Because the skin is numbed ahead of time, the treatment is painless. Just two treatments spaced three months apart are needed.
Some more good news:
- Hyperhidrosis + hair removal: Meet miraSmooth - Jeremy A. Brauer, M.D. , Cosmetic Surgery Times (2015)
- Miramar® Labs Announces FDA Clearance for the permanent reduction of underarm hair of all colors and subsequent launch of miraSmooth™ - Press Release (2015)
- Women Are “Microwaving” Their Armpits To Deal With Hair And Sweat - Jeremy Brauer, M.D., BuzzFeed (2015)
- 2 sessions eliminate well over 80% of sweat in clinical studies.
- Only local swelling and soreness of the underarm is expected after treatment, easily allowing patients to return to work. Simple over the counter anti-inflammatory medications are usually helpful after a session.
- After treatment you should be able to return to normal activities or work right away, and you can typically resume exercise within several days.
- Sweating under your arm is not necessary. It is safe to eliminate underarm sweat glands since they only account for about 2% of your glands. Not having these will not alter your body's ability to cool itself.