Nails are made up of layers of a hardened protein called keratin, which is also present in hair and skin.
The appearance of your nails can often reflect your overall health, with healthy nails being smooth and consistent in color. Nail growth can be affected by disease, nutrition, medications, trauma, and aging.
Changes in the nail, such as thickening, altered shape, or discoloration, can signal underlying health problems including immune system disorders, organ failure, or metabolic syndromes.
What are common nail problems?
- Nail infections
- Inflammatory diseases of the nail
- Malignancies of the nail unit
- Rigid nails
- Lifting of the nails
- Salon caused nail issues
- Nail lichen planus
- Injuries of the nail
- Cancers of the nail unit
- Warts of the nail unit
- Nail injections
- Behavioral-induced nail change
- Excisions of tumors of the nail bed
- Cosmetic problems with nails
Are nail treatments available?
Certain nail changes can indicate issues with the kidneys, infections of the heart, anemia, lung disease, and even exposure to certain poisons.
Laser and Skin Surgery Center of New York offers the following treatments:
- Surgical nail procedures including biopsies and excisions of the nail unit
- Laser therapy for fungal infections of the nail
Nails In The News
Questions and Answers
Q: What Does A Nail Infection Look Like?
A: Usually, an infected nail is swollen, painful and red, with pus occasionally developing in the skin around the nail. A dermatologist will often prescribe an antibiotic, but a consultation is always recommended.
Q: How Can I Properly Take Care of My Nails?
A: Here are a few tips to keep your nails healthy:
- Keep your nails clean and dry.
- Cut your toenails and fingernails straight across, rounding slightly in the center.
- Keep your toenails short.
- Soak your nails in warm salt water before you cut them.
- Smooth rough edges with an emery board.
- Avoid biting your nails.
- Protect your cuticles.
- Do not try to “dig out” an ingrown toenail.
- Wear the right size shoe and rotate pairs of shoes you wear.
WHAT you are looking for?
laser & skin surgery
center of new york
*MDs perform 100% of all medical and cosmetic treatments.