Years of experience
5 / 5 Stars
In July 2014, Board-certified cosmetic dermatologist, Dr. Shelton joined Roy Geronemus, M.D. and associates at the Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York.
Dr. Shelton has been in practice for close to thirty years. Upon completion of his Dermatology Residency, in 1990, he became the Chief of Dermatology at the Langley Air Force Base Hospital in Hampton, Virginia. Dr. Shelton then did a fellowship in cosmetic and reconstructive dermatologic surgery and Mohs Micrographic Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco. He was then recruited by the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City in 1993, to create their first Division of Mohs and Dermatologic Surgery and Cosmetic Dermatology Laser division. After five years as a full time faculty member, Dr. Shelton entered private practice in Manhattan but has maintained his affiliation with the Mount Sinai Medical Center as an Associate Clinical Professor, and he is responsible for teaching many residents, international cosmetic dermatologic surgeons who are being trained in fellowship and visiting physicians from around the world.
Every dermatologist has access to the same products and treatments, but it takes a true artist, with skill and empathy, to create beautiful, natural-looking results.
In 2000, Dr. Shelton created The New York Aesthetic Consultants, one of the first medical spas, and multigroup centers providing a full range of cosmetic laser, plastic and Mohs surgical services. He has lectured at many local, national and international conferences, published many peer-reviewed medical journal articles, written chapters in medical textbooks and has authored two books on Botox and Liposuction.
Dr. Shelton has been entrusted by the American Academy of Dermatology to be a spokesperson for the media, as he retains an academic interest and is highly regarded by his peers as an ethical and knowledgeable physician. Dr. Shelton has been listed as one of Castle Connolly’s “Best doctors in America” and New York Magazine “Top Doctors.” for several years. Dr. Shelton has also received an award as Teacher of the Year at the Mount Sinai Medical Center, and from The Journal of Dermatologic surgery for original research.
Dr. Shelton’s philosophy in practice is that he and his staff provide the same care to his patients as they would to their family.
Diplomate, American Board of Dermatology
New York State Medical License #: Available Upon Request
Residency in Dermatology, Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, TX
PGY-1 Residency in General Surgery, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY
|Fellowship:||Fellowship in Dermatologic and Mohs Micrographic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA|
|Medical:||M.D., SUNY Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, NY|
|Pre-Medical:||B.S. with honors in Bio-mathematics, Union College, Schenectady, NY, Summa Cum Laude; Thesis: “Effect of Copper Sulfate Algicide on the Histopathology of the Liver and Spleen of Yellow Perch.”|
- 2000-2020 Best Doctors in America, Castle Connolly
- 2011 HealthTap.com Award
- 2011 RealSelf.com Top Doctor Award
- 2011 Teacher of the Year Award, Dermatologic Surgery, The Mount Sinai Medical Center
- 2010 RealSelf.com Award Top Doctor Award
- 2009 New York Magazine Top Doctor Award
- 2007 American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, Preceptorship Award
- 2006 American Academy of Dermatology’s Leadership Circle for Volunteerism
- 2004–2005 Excellence in Teaching Award, Department of Dermatology, The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY
- 2004 Dermatology Foundation, Leadership Society Award
- 1997 Teacher of the Year Award, Department of Dermatology, The Mount Sinai Medical Center
- 1996 Best Doctors in America, New York Magazine
- 1994 Young Investigator Competition, Second Place, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- 1990 Monte Lewis Award, Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas
- 1987 Air Force Meritorious Service Medal
- 1985 Air Force Achievement Medal
- 1985 Highest Scholastic Achievement, Department of Surgery Residency, The Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY
- 1980 Phi Beta Kappa
- 1980 Summa Cum Laude, Union College, Schenectady, NY
- 1980 Honors in Bio-mathematics, Union College, Schenectady, NY
Shelton RM and Lewis C. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy: a review. J Am Acad Dermatol 1990; 22:513-20.
Shelton RM. Pemphigus foliaceus associated with enalapril. J Am Acad Dermatol 1991;24:503-4.
Shelton RM. Aloe vera, a review. Inter J Derm 1991;30:679-83.
Shelton RM. Linear Bacterial Dissection. Cutis 1993;51:43-4.
Shelton RM and Ryan MJ. Scurvy, a case in a healthy young woman. J Am Acad Dermatol 1992;27:773-4.
The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Medical Student IV level annual Skin Cancer Lecture for board exam preparation 1993 – 1997
Grand Rounds, Department of Otolaryngology, Mount Sinai, Mohs Micrographic Surgery, 9/1993
Department of Dermatology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Resident Pigs Foot Surgical Skills Workshop, Part I, 9/5/1993
The Mount Sinai Medical Center, Tumor Board, Metastatic Melanoma without a Primary Lesion, 9/28/1993
Department of Dermatology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Resident Pigs Foot Surgical Skills Workshop, Part II 10/14/1993
Ronald Shelton, MD explains treatment for face and neck with Thermi The Best Ways to Tighten Your Skin Without Surgery | LSSCNY Webinar
What patients say about
Dr. Ronald Shelton
laser & skin surgery
center of new york
*MDs perform 100% of all medical and cosmetic treatments.