Homepage // Blog / Laser Skin Lightening: Unveiling Your Inner Radiance
Laser Skin Lightening: Unveiling Your Inner Radiance
Lasers can lighten blemishes or darker patches of skin by targeting the skin’s outer layer or breaking down its pigment-producing melanin. Patients with age spots, melasma, and overall sun damage may benefit from laser treatments for skin lightening, which treat pigmentation, increase collagen production, and encourage cell renewal, resulting in a clearer and more radiant complexion.
Types of Lasers for Skin Lightening
Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York offers several skin lightening laser treatments, including:
- Clear + Brilliant® – This fractional laser features two wavelengths to target pigmentation and other anti-aging concerns. It is ideal for those who prefer to treat hyperpigmentation with minimal downtime, allowing the skin to achieve a more even tone with a brighter complexion.
- Clear + Brilliant Permea – This fractional laser uses light pulses to replace damaged skin with a healthier dermal layer, resulting in a more even skin tone with fewer signs of aging. It is ideal for men and women who want to rejuvenate their skin with minimal downtime.
- Fraxel Dual® – Another type of fractional laser that works in the skin’s dermal layer to increase collagen and elastin, this device delivers energy in a grid-like pattern to improve skin tone and texture. Improvements are typically visible within one week after treatment and can last up to one year with proper skin care.
- LaseMD – This fractional laser renews skin from the inside out by creating microchannels that treat dark patches and other discoloration on a cellular level. Initial results are visible after your treatment and continue to improve for up to 6 months as collagen levels increase.
- nd:YAG – This versatile Q-switched laser features multiple wavelengths and nanosecond pulses that break up pigment and other skin impurities without damaging the surrounding tissue. Results are typically visible within one week and are long-lasting.
- PicoSure™ – This advanced laser uses short energy bursts to break up unwanted pigment. Once the skin heals, your complexion appears clearer, brighter, and more even.
- PicoPlus™– This laser combines two wavelengths to target pigment without damaging the surrounding skin or tissue, ensuring an effective treatment that requires fewer sessions with less downtime.
- Ruby laser – This Q-switched laser requires fewer treatments with minimal downtime, since it treats pigmentation without damaging skin and tissue in the treatment area. Improvements are visible within days after your treatment and once the skin is fully healed.
Pros and Cons of Using Lasers to Lighten Your Skin
Potential Risks and Complications
Possible side effects include:
- Redness and swelling
These effects are temporary and typically resolve after 1-2 weeks.
Studies show that laser resurfacing appears to be safe and effective for melasma treatment, but it is important to choose a board-certified dermatologist who can properly assess your skin type and properly perform the procedure.
What to Expect During Laser Skin Lightening?
Your board-certified dermatologist provides you with goggles to wear to protect your eyes from the laser.
A handheld laser device then passes over areas of the skin with hyperpigmentation and melasma – you may feel a mild tingling or snapping sensation.
To ensure a more comfortable treatment experience, your dermatologist may apply a topical numbing cream before treatment, and a jet of cold air may blow onto the treatment area while the laser targets your unwanted pigmentation.
Each session usually lasts around 30 minutes, depending on the device used, your skin type, and your skin condition.
Your dermatologist provides detailed aftercare instructions to accelerate healing and optimize your results. Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York schedules follow-up appointments to monitor your skin’s progress and ensure you achieve your desired outcome.
Alternatives to Laser Skin Lightening
Other skin lightening treatment options to consider include:
- Chemical peels
- Topical products containing ingredients like retinoids and hydroquinone
Schedule Your Laser Skin Lightening in New York
The board-certified dermatologists and plastic surgeons at Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York have a wide range of laser devices and extensive training in using them, allowing customized treatments that treat multiple skin conditions and ensure the best results possible.
Contact us to schedule a consultation and learn more about a custom treatment plan for skin lightening.
Next, read about…
Homepage // Blog / Expert Dermatologists on Laser Eyelid TighteningWrinkles, droopy eyelids, and under-eye bags can make you look tired and drained, but a surgical blepharoplasty isn’t your only option to rejuvenate your appearance. Laser blepharoplasty is an...
Homepage // Blog / Is your acne hormonal or bacterial? Expert dermatologists shareAcne can have several different causes, and the best acne treatment depends on determining the type of acne you have. By identifying the acne type and treating its underlying cause, you...
Homepage // Blog / Laser & Device Showdown: A Comprehensive Comparison of Every Skin Tightening Laser & DeviceLaser skin tightening is a cosmetic procedure for individuals looking to improve sagging skin. Lasers are non-invasive treatments that use energy to...
laser & skin surgery
center of new york
Monday - Wednesday, Friday: 9am - 4:30pm
Thursday: 9am - 5pm
Saturday October 1, 2022: By Appointment Only
Same-Day Appointments Now Available
Pay Online for Patients of Drs. Geronemus, Anolik, Bae & Seidenberg
Pay Online for Patients of Drs. Abraham, Bernstein, Krant, Shelton, Stern, Weiss, Hoffman, Shim, Murphy-Rose, Wilson, and Petratos
*MDs perform 100% of all medical and cosmetic treatments.