Dr. Paul M. Friedman
Board certified dermatologist
“Changing patients’ lives with lasers, contributing to the advancement of our specialty, educating fellows and residents, and charitable work has been a career mission of mine that has been incredibly rewarding.”
Years of experience
5 / 5 Stars
|Paul M. Friedman, M.D., board-certified by the American Board of Dermatology, is the director of Dermatology & Laser Surgery Center of Houston, Texas, and also practices at the Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York. He was educated in dermatology at the New York University School of Medicine where he served as chief resident and was twice-awarded the prestigious Husik Prize for his research in dermatologic surgery. He completed a one-year fellowship in dermatologic laser surgery and Mohs micrographic surgery & cutaneous oncology at the Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York and was the recipient of the Young Investigator’s Writing Competition Award of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. Dr. Friedman is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas Medical School, department of dermatology, and a clinical assistant professor of dermatology at the Weill Cornell Medical College, Houston Methodist Hospital. He is also on staff at Texas Children’s Hospital and Memorial-Hermann Hospital-Texas Medical Center.|
Every dermatologist has access to the same products and treatments, but it takes a true artist, with skill and empathy, to create beautiful, natural-looking results.
Dr. Friedman has been a featured speaker of the American Academy of Dermatology, the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, and other national and international audiences. He served as Co-Chair for the Cutaneous Laser Surgery Section of the 2009 and 2011 Annual Conferences of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery and served as program co-chair for the 2015 ASLMS Annual Conference. He has served as chair of the public service committee for the American Society of Dermatologic Surgery. Dr. Friedman has published over 75 medical articles and book chapters and co-authored the book Beautiful Skin Revealed: The Ultimate Guide to Better Skin. He is co-Editor of the recently released textbook Lasers and Light Source Treatment For the Skin. He also serves on the Editorial Board of the journal Dermatologic Surgery. Dr. Friedman has been recognized as a leading physician and researcher in the field and also been involved in the development of several new laser systems and therapeutic techniques now commonly used throughout the world.
Diplomate, American Board of Dermatology
American Heart Association, Advance Cardiac Life Support
American Heart Association, Basic Life Support
|Residency:||Tisch Bellevue NY VA Medical Center, New York University, School of Medicine, Ronald O. Perelman, M.D., Department of Dermatology, 1997-2000|
|Internship:||Washington University, School of Medicine in St. Louis Barnes-Jewish Hospital Internal Medicine 1996 – 1997|
|Medical:||University of Tennessee, Memphis Doctor of Medicine Highest Honors – Class Rank 3 of 155, 1992 – 1996|
|Pre-Medical:||Memphis State University Vertebrate Zoology Major – Cumulative GPA 4.00 1988 – 1991|
- 1989 Outstanding Freshman Award
- 1989 Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
- 1989 – 1990 InterFraternity Council 4.00 Club
- 1988 – 1991 Dean’s List
- 1989 – 1991 Early Scholars Scholarship
- 1990 Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honor Society J. Wayne Johnson Memorial Outstanding Student Award
- 1993 National Institute of Health, Medical Student Research Fellowship Grant
- 1996 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society Distinguished Graduate Award
- 1996 Imhotep Society
- 1998 Second Prize, Dermatologic Society of Greater New York, the 10th Annual Conrad Stritzler Memorial Residents Competition
- 1999 Husik Prize Recipient for Best Paper by a Resident or Fellow
- 2000 Husik Prize Recipient for Best Paper by a Resident or Fellow First Prize, Dermatologic Society of Greater New York, the 11th Annual Conrad Stritzler Memorial Residents Competition
- 2001 Recipient of The Young Investigator’s Writing Competition Award of The American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. Friedman PM, Skover G, Payonk G, Kauvar ANB, Geronemus RG.3D In-vivo optical skin imaging for topographical quantitative assessment of nonablative laser technology. Dermatol Surg 2002, 28(3):199-204.
- 2005–2006 H Texas Magazine Listing of Top Doctors in Houston 2007 Who’s Who in America
- 2008 Who’s Who in the World 2010 Who’s Who among Executives and Professional
- 2011–2015 H Texas Magazine Listing of Top Doctors in Houston
- 2014 Texas Super Doctors
- 2015 ASLMS Presidential Citation Award Texas Super Doctors
- 2016 ASLMS Best of Cutaneous Applications Abstract Session Award
Friedman PM, Kunishige JH, Polder, KD. Beautiful Skin Revealed. Sandow Media, Boca Raton, FL, August 2010.
Avram M, Avram M, Friedman PM.Lasers & Light Source Treatment For The Skin. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers LTD, New Delhi, India, March 2014.
Laywell ED, Friedman P, Harrington K, Robertson JT, Steindler, DA. Cell attachment to frozen sections of injured adult mouse brain: Effects of antibody and lectin pertubation of wound-related extracellular matrix molecules. J Neurosci Methods. 1996;66(2):99-108.
Friedman PM, Golomb CA, Kirsner RS. Self-Assessment examination. Cutaneous Angiosarcoma. J Am Acad of Dermatol. 1997;36:142-144 and 147-148.
Friedman PM, Chang WM. Selected pearls from the New York University Clinical Conference. Case report # 1: Incontinentia pigmenti. J Clin Dermatol. 1999;2(2):35-37.
Friedman PM, Friedman RH, Jiang SB, Nouri KN, Amonette RA, Robins P. Microcystic adnexal carcinoma: Collaborative series review and update. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999 Aug;41(2 Pt 1):225-231. Review
Friedman PM, Fogelman JP, Nouri K, Levine VJ, Ashinoff R. Comparative study of the efficacy of four topical anesthetics. Dermatol Surg. 1999 Dec;25(12):950- 954.
American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery Annual Conference. LightBased Devices Combined With Other Modalities to Treat the Face. Kissimmee, FL, April 22, 2015.
American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery Annual Conference. Laser and Light Treatment of Pigmented Lesions. Kissimmee, FL, April 23, 2015.
American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery Annual Conference. Current Approaches for Treating Melasma and Pigmented Lesions. Kissimmee, FL, April 23, 2015.
American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery Annual Conference. Treatment of Pigmented Lesions and Scars in Skin of Color. “My Approach”. Kissimmee, FL, April 23, 2015.
American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery Annual Conference. Dye vs KTP vs Alex vs Others. Kissimmee, FL, April 23, 2015.
What patients say about
Dr. Paul M. Friedman
laser & skin surgery
center of new york
*MDs perform 100% of all medical and cosmetic treatments.