Our DermatologistsNYU UPN Dermatologists
- Roy G. Geronemus, M.D.
- Robert T. Anolik, M.D.
- Yoon-Soo Cindy Bae, M.D.
- Jeremy A. Brauer, M.D.
- Roy Seidenberg, M.D.
- Leonard J. Bernstein, M.D.
- Wilfred Brown, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Ronald Shelton, M.D.
- Jessica J. Krant, M.D.
- Paul M. Friedman, M.D.
- Dana Stern, M.D.
- Elliot T. Weiss, M.D.
- Michelle F. Henry, M.D.
Acne Scarring TreatmentThere are currently multiple treatments available to improve the appearance of acne scars in NYC. Fortunately, the options for acne scar management have improved dramatically over the past several years with the advent of new laser technology. While a complete cure is not possible, most of our patients can appreciate significant improvement with laser treatment. The choice of treatment is based upon the types of scars and the characteristics of each individual patient. Acne scars that are hypopigmented, red, hyperpigmented, elevated, or depressed and sunken can typically be improved with the appropriate selection of laser treatments. We also have lasers that are safe for patients with darker skin types.
The options that are presently available include non-ablative fractional resurfacing with the Fraxel Re:store Dual, ablative fractional resurfacing (Fraxel Re:pair, Active FX and Deep FX), PicoSure®, Clear + Brilliant, Permea, pulsed-dye laser, and laser toning (Nd:YAG lasers).
Some techniques that have minimal to no downtime include the Fraxel Dual laser, PicoSure, Clear + Brilliant , Permea, and the Q-switched Nd:YAG laser. More downtime is seen with the Fraxel Re:pair laser as well as the Active FX and Deep FX.
The treatment of acne scars is often performed in conjunction with the use of filler substances such as Perlane, Sculptra, Juvederm, Belotoro as well as Laviv. Additionally, treatment of elevated acne scars, particularly on the chest and shoulders, is often further improved with injections of medication directly into the elevated areas at the time of laser treatment.
To discuss which treatment will work best on your acne scarring, please call us for an appointment today.
- Could This Laser Be a Game Changer for Treating Acne Scars? Robert T. Anolik, M.D. - Allure (2016)
- New options for managing acne scars: Roy G. Geronemus, M.D., presents at the 36th Annual Conference of the American Society for Laser Medicine & Surgery, Boston, Mass. Dermatology Times (2016)
- Abstract: Use of a picosecond pulse duration laser with specialized optic for treatment of facial acne scarring.
- Study conducted at our center - Use of PicoSure laser for facial acne scarring - Jama Dermatology (2014)
- VIDEO - Dr. Jeremy A. Brauer: Laser Skin Treatment Promises to Erase Acne Scars (PicoSure) CBS News
- Drs. Brauer and Geronemus presented cutting edge research on the treatment of acne scarring using the PicoSure™ laser at the 2013 Annual Conference of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery.
- Laser & Light Therapies for Acne & Acne Scarring, Dermatology World (May 2012)
- Two's Company - Dr. Geronemus discusses the new Fraxel Dual laser (2011)
- Dr. Brightman talks about the eMatrix on CBS Health Watch (2011)
- Read Article On Acne Scarring (2011)
- Novel nonablative fractional laser shows promise for clearing actinic keratoses (2010)
- Dr. Geronemus on the Gretchen Project (2009)
Acne Scarring Related Items
Jeremy A. Brauer, MD, Viktoryia Kazlouskaya, MD, PhD, Hamad Alabdulrazzaq, MBBCh, "Use of a Picosecond Pulse Duration Laser With Specialized Optic for Treatment of Facial Acne Scarring" JAMA Dermatology. 2014
Sukal S, Geronemus RG. “Fractional Resurfacing,” in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, eds. Aston SJ, Steinbrech DS, Walden JL. (Elsevier, 2009), 891-9.
Anolik R, Geronemus RG. Complications of Fractional Lasers (Ablative and Nonablative). In: Beer K, Tosti A, eds. Management of Common and Uncommon Complications of Cosmetic Procedures. Springer. 2012