Homepage // Blog / How to Treat Textured Skin, According to Dermatologists
How to Treat Textured Skin, According to Dermatologists
Do you feel bumps, pits, or patches of dryness when touching your skin? This is known as uneven skin texture. To master the perfect skincare routine, you’ve probably invested in products and treatments that help create an even skin tone. However, skin texture should also be a focus if you’re looking for brighter, smoother skin.
Uneven skin texture is trickier to hide than uneven skin tone. Not even makeup can cover up the unwanted patches of textured skin. Makeup tends to amplify the presence of uneven texture, causing the skin to flake and appear cakey.
You may be wondering how to get rid of bumpy skin and what causes it in the first place. Luckily, there are many ways to improve the smoothness of your skin. The board-certified dermatologists at Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York are here to explain what causes uneven skin texture and how to improve it.
How do I tell that my skin texture is uneven?
Signs of textured skin include:
- Bumps or blemishes
- Rough, dry, or flaky patches
- Pits or scarring
- Enlarged pores
Glide your fingers over your skin. If what you feel changes on different areas of your face, you’re experiencing uneven skin texture.
Ways to deal with textured skin
After an initial consultation, your board-certified dermatologist may recommend the following treatments to improve the appearance of textured skin:
A chemical peel is a treatment that deeply exfoliates the skin. A chemical solution is applied to the face, causing dead skin to peel off. The skin revealed underneath is usually more smooth and even than the old skin.
Laser resurfacing treatments can address a variety of skin conditions. These conditions, like acne, scarring, actinic keratosis, psoriasis, sun damage, and more, all contribute to uneven skin texture.
Laser skin treatments remove the top layer of your skin, the epidermis, and heat the underlying layer, the dermis, to stimulate collagen production for smoother, firmer skin. Some lasers are better suited for texture issues than others. Popular options include:
RF Microneedling treatments involve penetrating the skin with microneedles and delivering radiofrequency to induce collagen and elastin production. A series of 2-5 treatments are typically needed, and the healing process reveals new skin with a more even texture and tone than before. RF microneedling can be used on any skin type, skin tone, or ethnicity, and is especially beneficial if you’re experiencing acne, scarring, or large pores.
Improved Skincare Regimen
One of the best ways to improve uneven skin texture is to use high-quality skincare products and adopt a healthy skincare routine.
- Cleanse. Always use a cleanser before bed to remove the dirt, oil, makeup, or sunscreen sitting on your face. Use a professional cleanser recommended by your dermatologist for your skin type.
- Exfoliate. Regularly exfoliating removes dead cells on your skin’s surface for a smoother appearance. Use a gentle exfoliator and avoid scrubbing aggressively to prevent abrasions. Chemical exfoliators with acids like glycolic acid or salicylic acid can also help diminish the appearance of blemishes and large pores.
- Add Vitamin C. Vitamin C helps repair and protect the skin from damage, while boosting hydration and reducing the appearance of scarring and dark spots. You can integrate vitamin C into your skincare routine by using a vitamin C serum.
- Wear SPF. Wearing SPF sunscreen daily helps protect your skin from sun damage—which contributes to uneven skin texture.
- Moisturize. Keep your skin hydrated with a moisturizer made for your skin type. Moisturizing improves dry patches and creates a more supple, smooth appearance.
What causes uneven skin texture?
Many factors contribute to uneven skin texture, including:
- Genetics. Pore size, sebum production, and excess dryness are influenced by genetics.
- Acne. Blemishes and scarring from acne lead to bumpy skin or grainy skin texture on the face.
- Dryness. Dryness leads to a build-up of dry skin cells, making it appear rough and even leading to flaking.
- Aging. Age comes with excess dead skin cells and less collagen production. The lack of collagen leads to wrinkles and creases, which contribute to uneven texture.
- Sun Damage. Over time, sun damage leads to sun spots, wrinkles, and uneven skin tone and texture.
Treat uneven skin texture in New York
At our offices in Manhattan and Southampton, New York, the Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York’s board-certified dermatologists treat skin texture concerns every day. We know how to get rid of textured skin and determine the best treatment for your unique situation.
Our dermatologists have a track record of beautiful results, with over 230,000 patients in our database and more than 100 lasers for facial rejuvenation. Our center offers professional skin care regimens, chemical peels, laser resurfacing, and RF microneedling treatments to help you achieve smooth, even skin you feel confident about.
Contact us to book a consultation at our Manhattan or Southampton offices and learn more about how to improve skin texture with a combination of treatments at LSSCNY.
Next, read about…
Radio Frequency (RF) Skin Treatments 101: All You Need to Know
Homepage // Blog / Radio Frequency (RF) Skin Treatments 101: All You Need to KnowWith the advancement of modern cosmetic technology, many people are turning to radiofrequency skin treatments to enhance the tone, texture, and elasticity of their skin. Radiofrequency...
Best Body Contouring Procedures After Weight Loss
Homepage // Blog / Best Body Contouring Procedures After Weight LossExcess skin is a common consequence of significant weight loss, whether through intentional dieting and exercise or bariatric surgery. Body contouring after weight loss can help sculpt and tone the...
Facial Fillers Guide: Which One to Choose?
Homepage // Blog / Facial Fillers Guide: Which One to Choose?As we age, our faces naturally lose fat and fine lines, wrinkles, and undereye bags start to appear. Fillers have become the most popular and effective way to make these noticeable lines disappear without...
laser & skin surgery
center of new york
317 East 34th Street New York, NY 10016
Monday – Friday: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: September through June by appointment only
Same-Day Appointments Now Available
325 Meeting House Lane, Bldg. 1, Ste. C Southampton, NY 11968
Monday - Wednesday, Friday: 9am - 4:30pm
Thursday: 9am - 5pm
Saturday October 1, 2022: By Appointment Only
Same-Day Appointments Now Available
Pay Online for Patients of Drs. Geronemus, Anolik, Bae & Seidenberg
Pay Online for Patients of Drs. Abraham, Bernstein, Krant, Shelton, Stern, Weiss, Hoffman, Shim, Murphy-Rose, Wilson, and Petratos
*MDs perform 100% of all medical and cosmetic treatments.