Eliminating Age Spots and Brown Spots With Laser Therapy
Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York is a premiere medical and cosmetic surgery center with more than 100 laser and energy devices and a team of board-certified, fellowship-trained dermatologists. Our acclaimed experts customize treatments with the precision necessary to ensure safe procedures and superior results.
What Are Age Spots and Brown Spots, and What Causes Them to Form?
How Laser Therapy Can Be Used to Eliminate These Blemishes
Laser therapy is an effective treatment method for brown spots. Lasers direct energy at a targeted area to eliminate blemishes like brown spots. These devices are used to accelerate skin turnover and reveal fresh, clear skin. Although brown spots appear on the skin’s surface, they require a treatment that targets the deeper dermal layers for long-lasting results. Some of the best laser treatments for brown spot removal include:
- Ruby laser: A Q-switched laser that targets brown spots with a short pulse and higher power without damaging the surrounding skin
- nd:YAG laser: A Q-switched laser that uses rapid pulses to break up melanin with minimal downtime and side effects
- Fraxel lasers: Fractional lasers stimulate the body’s natural healing process by creating deep channels in the dermal layer for dramatic and long-lasting results.
- LaseMD Ultra laser: A non-ablative fractional laser that corrects pigmentation issues at a cellular level
- PicoSure laser: An FDA-approved laser that uses short bursts of energy to break up difficult pigmentation
- PicoPlus laser: This laser combines nanosecond and picosecond wavelengths to target irregular skin pigmentation in fewer treatments than single wavelength devices.
- Clear + Brilliant: A fractional laser that creates microscopic treatment zones in the upper layers of the skin to generate healthy-looking skin
The Benefits of Laser Therapy for Age Spots and Brown Spots
There are many benefits to laser treatments for age spots and brown spots, including:
- Versatility: There are hundreds of lasers and devices that target pigmentation. Patients can find a laser that works for their needs, skin tone, and aesthetic goals.
- Precision: Lasers are extremely precise devices that can target small or large areas. Many lasers reach various depths and can treat brown spots at the base of the epidermis without damaging the surrounding skin.
- Minimal downtime: Lasers are a fast and effective treatment that can be performed in less than 15 minutes, depending on how many brown spots are being treated. Patients can usually return to normal daily activities immediately without significant recovery or downtime.
- Minimal discomfort: Topical anesthetics can numb the treatment area before treatment to minimize discomfort.
- Fast results: Immediately after treatment, patients can see improvement with complete results within 1-3 months as new collagen and skin cells are produced.
How to Prepare for a Laser Treatment Session
- Direct sun exposure without adequate protection
- Skin lightening or darkening elements
- Harsh exfoliants like chemical peels or retinol
What to Expect During and After a Laser Treatment Session for Age Spots or Brown Spots
Lasers are precise devices that efficiently target pigmentation in just a few minutes in most cases, allowing patients to conveniently schedule appointments and return to daily activities. The number of treatment sessions depends on how many spots need to be removed and the severity of the damage. Some patients only require one session, while others need two or three for satisfactory results.
After treatment, patients can immediately return to normal daily activities. Results are noticeable right away and gradually improve over several weeks as collagen production increases.
Next, read about…
Homepage // Blog / Best treatments for all types of scars explainedOnce a scar forms, it becomes a lasting mark on your skin. Fortunately, the world of cosmetic treatments offers a range of powerful lasers and solutions to minimize their appearance. Selecting the...
Homepage // Blog / Expert dermatologists answer the most popular questions about laser skin resurfacingLaser skin resurfacing procedures can seem overwhelming for first-time patients. With various lasers and devices, brands, potential side effects, and treatment...
Homepage // Blog / 5 long-term effects of Botox you need to knowBotox® Cosmetic is a popular injectable medication that has been FDA-approved for cosmetic use for over 20 years. While its anti-aging benefits are clear, researchers have also explored its long-term...
laser & skin surgery
center of new york
Monday - Wednesday, Friday: 9am - 4:30pm
Thursday: 9am - 5pm
Saturday October 1, 2022: By Appointment Only
Same-Day Appointments Now Available
Pay Online for Patients of Drs. Geronemus, Anolik, Bae & Seidenberg
Pay Online for Patients of Drs. Abraham, Bernstein, Krant, Shelton, Stern, Weiss, Hoffman, Shim, Murphy-Rose, Wilson, and Petratos
*MDs perform 100% of all medical and cosmetic treatments.
Our board-certified dermatologists in New York City are all fellowship-trained and uniquely trained in lasers and technology, cosmetic and medical dermatology, and skin surgery. Together they are highly acclaimed world experts with thousands of articles published, countless TV and media appearances, and hundreds of years of combined experience.
Our plastic surgeons bring years of experience in helping patients achieve all their aesthetic goals through surgical procedures. Every treatment is fully customized to the precise needs of each patient for results that are natural and beautiful.