Homepage // Blog / Tummy Tucks and Mommy Makeovers
Tummy Tucks and Mommy Makeovers
Childbearing causes unavoidable changes to a woman’s body. Some of these effects respond to diet and exercise, while others are more stubborn or entirely beyond your control. If your family is complete but pregnancy has left you with a body you’re dissatisfied with, a mommy makeover can help you feel like yourself again.
The world-class surgeons at the Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York (Manhattan and Southampton) can help restore your pre-baby body and your confidence. In a recent webinar, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Wilfred Brown explains the basics of what a mommy makeover might entail.
What is a Mommy Makeover?
In his webinar, Dr. Brown introduces a mommy makeover as a combination of procedures, generally performed simultaneously, designed to restore a woman’s body after childbearing. The surgery typically addresses the areas affected most by pregnancy and nursing; the breasts and abdomen.
Mommy Makeover Options
Mommy Makeovers are generally performed as a single-stage outpatient procedure lasting no longer than five hours. Based on the patient’s needs, a Mommy Makeover may include :
Mommy Makeover Candidates
Good candidates for a Mommy Makeover possess the following:
- Good medical health
- Ideal body weight
- Positive outlook and realistic expectations
- Finished with childbearing
Mommy Makeover Cost
Costs of a mommy makeover vary depending on the chosen procedures, the surgeon’s experience, and geographic location.
Costs may include:
- Surgeon’s fee
- Hospital or surgical facility fee
- Anesthesia fees
- Preparation medicines
- Post-surgery garments
Mommy Makeover Consultation
The consultation is the opportunity for you and your plastic surgeon to discuss your specific concerns and goals for your mommy makeover. At your consultation, Dr. Brown recommends being prepared to discuss:
- Surgical goals
- Medical conditions and allergies
- Current medications, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco, and drug use
- Previous surgeries
To ensure that all your questions are asked and goals addressed, make a list in advance and bring it to your consultation.
At the consultation, your surgeon and/or nurse will:
- Evaluate your general health and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Perform an examination of the treatment areas
- Take measurements and assess skin quality and skin thickness
- Take photographs
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely surgical outcomes and any risks or potential complications
- Answer any questions you have regarding the surgery
Dr. Brown lists these questions as good ones to address at your consultation:
- Am I a good candidate?
- What will be expected of me to get the best result?
- Where and how will the surgery be performed?
- What surgical technique is recommended?
- How long is the recovery and what sort of help will be needed as I recover?
- What are the risks and potential complications?
- How are complications handled?
- What are my options if I’m dissatisfied?
- Can I view before and after photos?
- What results are reasonable for me?
Your surgeon will explain the risks associated with the surgery in detail, and you’ll be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you fully understand the procedure you will undergo.
Mommy Makeover Procedure
Because a mommy makeover typically involves multiple surgical procedures, patients will have steps to take to get ready for the procedure. Preparation for the mommy makeover may include:
- Lab testing
- Taking certain medications or adjusting your medications
- Quitting smoking
- Avoiding aspirin, NSAIDs, or herbal supplements, as they can cause bleeding
Surgery is generally performed in a hospital or ambulatory surgery setting, and general anesthesia is typically used.
Breast augmentation can provide women with small or unevenly sized breasts a fuller, firmer, more proportioned appearance. Based on your needs and goals, breast augmentation can be combined with other procedures, such as a breast lift. Options allow your surgeon to customize your breast surgery to your precise needs, and might include:
- Anesthesia: General or conscious sedation
- Incision placement: Periareolar (around the nipple), Inframammary fold (in the crease below the breast), Transaxillary (under the arm)
- Implant insertion: Under the pectoral muscle (submuscular) or under the breast tissue in front of the muscle (sub-glandular)
- Incision closure – Multiple layers of dissolving sutures
Types of Implants
There are also different implants that might be used for your procedure. Each has its own set of pros and cons. Your surgeon will go over your options in detail at your consultation to help you select the best implants for your needs and goals. Implant options include:
- Saline – a silicone shell filled with sterile saline fluid once the implant is placed into the breast tissue
- Structured saline – combines features and characteristics of the saline and silicone implants
- Silicone – a silicone shell pre-filled with a gel-like silicone substance
- Gummy bear – also a silicone implant, but with a firmer consistency
With a careful assessment of your specific desires for your procedure, you can achieve a breast augmentation that is proportionate, natural, and beautiful.
A breast lift can restore youthful shape and lift breasts that have sagged due to pregnancy, weight fluctuations, loss of natural skin elasticity, or the effects of gravity. The procedure can also be used to reduce the size of the areolar region (the dark skin surrounding the nipple) and can be performed in combination with breast augmentation to increase breast volume and firmness.
Your plastic surgeon will determine the best technique for your breast lift by assessing a few different factors, including:
- Breast size and shape
- Size and position of the areola
- Degree of breast sagging
- Skin quality and elasticity
At the same time your surgeon lifts your breasts, they will also reshape them if necessary. Goals achieved by a breast lift include:
- The underlying tissue is lifted and reshaped to improve contour and firmness
- Nipple and areola are repositioned at a more youthful height
- Enlarged areolas may be reduced
- Excess skin is removed
Breast reduction involves the removal of excess glandular tissue, fat, and skin, resulting in smaller, firmer, and lighter breasts that are more proportionate to the rest of the body. Reduction can often alleviate symptoms associated with heavy, pendulous breasts like neck and shoulder pain. This cosmetic surgery procedure produces immediate and long-lasting results, often significantly boosting self-confidence and physical comfort.
What is a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck, (abdominoplasty) removes excess fat and skin from the abdomen. The procedure also helps flatten the abdomen by tightening the surrounding muscles. Abdominal muscles separate during pregnancy to accommodate the growing baby and the only way to restore their pre-baby position is with a surgical tummy tuck.
Types of Tummy Tucks
Tummy tuck options include a partial “mini tuck” and a complete tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).
A partial mini tuck addresses only the area beneath the belly button. A complete tummy tuck is the more popular and commonly performed procedure in a mommy makeover. This surgery addresses the entire midsection and produces the most dramatic results. However, it also involves a longer incision and more recovery time afterward.
Tummy Tuck Procedure
Your surgeon will make two incisions, placed as low as possible so they are hidden within the panty or bikini line. One extends from hip bone to hip bone near the pubic area and one is created around the navel. Skin is then separated from the abdominal muscles, which will then be reattached and stitched together for a firmer abdomen and narrower waist.
After stretching the skin flap down over the tightened muscles, the excess skin is removed, and the navel is reattached. Your surgeon then closes the incisions and covers the sutured areas with sterile surgical dressings.
Tummy Tuck Recovery
To drain excess fluid from the surgical site, a temporary tube may be inserted. Compression garments are frequently prescribed to reduce swelling and prevent blood clots. Recovery time varies between two weeks and several months. Within 2-4 weeks, most patients resume work and other activities.
- Drains may be placed via one or two incisions in the pubic area (generally removed about one-week post-surgery)
- Instructions on how to take care of the incisions and drains will be provided
- Pain medication and possibly antibiotics will be prescribed
- Follow-up appointments will be scheduled with the surgeon
- Instructions and restrictions must be strictly followed to avoid complications and ensure the best possible results
Though uncommon, surgical complications are possible. They may include infection, blood clots, and inadequate healing, all of which may require further surgery.
Tummy Tuck Scarring
Many patients worry about what scarring will look like after a tummy tuck. Dr. Brown noted the following during his webinar:
- Scarring may take up to a year to fade; numbness may occur between the belly button and public area that usually resolves in about a year, but could be permanent.
- Good results are expected, but there are no guarantees, and additional procedures may be required.
- Instructions must be closely followed for your surgery to be a success.
Following your tummy tuck, a scar revision procedure may minimize the appearance of scarring.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is a minimally invasive procedure that removes stubborn fat that won’t respond to diet and exercise. This treatment can be performed as a stand-alone procedure or in combination with other surgeries commonly included in the mommy makeover.
Liposuction Treatment Areas
Liposuction is frequently performed on the hips, flank, midsection, upper arms, and the area beneath the chin, although it can be used nearly anywhere stubborn fat might accumulate.
Here are the basic steps of the liposuction procedure:
The procedure is performed through small incisions (2 mm) or the tummy tuck incision if the two procedures are done at the same time
- Diluted anesthetic solution is injected into the areas to be liposuction
- The cannula is inserted, and the fat is dislodged using a back and forth motion
- The loosened fat is then suctioned out of the body using a surgical vacuum or syringe
Bruising, soreness, and swelling are common around the treatment sites. A compression garment or elastic bandages may be applied to help limit swelling and compress the skin to its new contour. These should be worn 24 hours per day for the first two weeks following surgery and 12-14 hours per day for the next four weeks. Drains may also be placed.
Patients are encouraged to walk as soon as possible, although strenuous activity should be avoided for about a month. Many patients can return to work after a few days. It may take several months for the swelling to subside entirely.
CHOOSING YOUR PLASTIC SURGEON
If you feel that areas of your body aren’t the same after pregnancy and childbirth, a mommy makeover can improve your appearance and boost your self-confidence.
To get the best results, it’s imperative to choose a surgeon with extensive training and experience. Our plastic surgeons are experts in their field with many years of combined years of experience.
Are you interested in getting your pre-baby body back? To schedule a consultation for your mommy makeover, contact the Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York (Manhattan and Southampton) today.
Next, read about…
3 Reasons to Consider Laser Treatments for Brown Spots
Homepage // Blog / 3 Reasons to Consider Laser Treatments for Brown SpotsWe’ve all noticed them: brown spots on the skin, most commonly on the hands or face. While brown spots can make you feel older than you are, the good news is that they are treatable. The best...
4 Best Treatments For Under Eye Wrinkles, from Expert Dermatologists
Homepage // Blog / 4 Best Treatments For Under Eye Wrinkles, from Expert DermatologistsUnder eye wrinkle treatments focus on improving the skin quality of the lower eyelids. While wrinkles are a natural part of the aging process, various surgical and non-surgical...
How to Treat Pitted Acne Scars and Boost Your Confidence
Homepage // Blog / How to Treat Pitted Acne Scars and Boost Your ConfidencePitted acne scars leave deep indented depressions that can be a significant cosmetic concern for those who have acne-prone skin. Fortunately, advanced acne and acne scar treatments are...
laser & skin surgery
center of new york
317 East 34th Street New York, NY 10016
Monday – Friday: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: September through June by appointment only
Same-Day Appointments Now Available
325 Meeting House Lane, Bldg. 1, Ste. C Southampton, NY 11968
Monday - Wednesday, Friday: 9am - 4:30pm
Thursday: 9am - 5pm
Saturday October 1, 2022: By Appointment Only
Same-Day Appointments Now Available
Pay Online for Patients of Drs. Geronemus, Anolik, Bae & Seidenberg
Pay Online for Patients of Drs. Abraham, Bernstein, Krant, Shelton, Stern, Weiss, Hoffman, Shim, Murphy-Rose, Wilson, and Petratos
*MDs perform 100% of all medical and cosmetic treatments.